In partnership with the Red Sea Labs, the Middle East Media Initiative (MEMI) invites television screenwriters to apply for a one-week TV writing and development program at the Red Sea International Film Festival in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
The Middle East Media Initiative (MEMI) is an innovative professional exchange program produced at the USC School of Cinematic Arts. Recognizing that television serves as a major influence in entertaining and informing audiences, MEMI seeks to support the current generation of Arab TV screenwriters and content creators in telling stories that entertain and engage audiences around local issues.
MEMI’s regional TV writing program will be hosted by the Red Sea Labs from November 30 – December 5, 2023, at the Red Sea International Film Festival. Program participants will develop their shows through a one-week simulated writers’ room and in-depth pitch training. MEMI will cover travel and accommodation costs, catering, and access to the Festival.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA & SELECTION:
- Ideal candidates are mid-level television writers and content creators with previous writing credits who exhibit a strong desire to learn new skill sets and a commitment to improving their craft.
- Ideal candidates exhibit a strong desire to learn new skill sets and a commitment to improving their craft. MEMI welcomes writers of all levels as our Alumni range from notable professionals in the industry as well as beginners who are just starting out.
- Applicants must have a working-level proficiency in English. Our instructors are English-speaking. Therefore, to best benefit from the program, applicants must be comfortable speaking and expressing themselves in English. You are welcome to apply in Arabic if that is your preferred language. However, the program will be run in English.
- Applicants must submit a TV project that has uncontested ownership.
- Co-writers may apply. If you are applying with a co-writer, please submit one application only.
Complete Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on October 25, 2023 (UTC).
*Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Application deadline: 11:59 p.m., October 25th, 2023.
- Selected participants notified: November 1st, 2023.
- Arrival in Jeddah: November 29th, 2023.
- First workshop day: November 30th, 2023.
- Last day of classes: December 4th, 2023.
The Red Sea Labs Calls Out to All TV Screenwriters
Applications are now closed